Chardanook. According to Cid and Nero's research, such is the name given to your next devilish opponent. Had you not just won a battle against a spectral train, you might think the idea of a haunted painting absurd. Thankful for the inventive genius of your companions, you go forth armed with the Chocobo Brush - a tool specifically designed to help you overcome this bizarre encounter.
— In-game description
- Quest: "An Unfinished Masterpiece".
To unlock Sigmascape V2.0, Sigmascape V1.0 must be complete.
- Questgiver: Cid @ The Interdimensional Rift (closest Aetheryte is The Peering Stones in The Fringes)
Chadarnook - Abilities & Phases
You find yourself within in a square-shaped art gallery surrounded by mysterious paintings, one of which is haunted by a Chadarnook - a ghostly spectre that harnesses power by possessing paintings that represent various elements. You'll also notice four blank canvases on the ground which, when stood on, can be interacted with using the Chocobo Brush (duty action) to prepare for upcoming attacks.
You will notice four distinct paintings propped up in each corner of the arena that represents various elements - a giant rock (earth), a wall of flame (fire), an undersea scape (water), and a swirling green vortex (wind) - as well as one large portrait outside of the arena that represents The Goddess - an untargetable threat that will bombard players with vicious auto-attacks throughout the encounter.
The battle will commence as soon as players move close to The Goddess painting, causing the Chadarnook to emerge after a brief introductory animation.
Below is a list of all mechanics encountered during the battle and how to deal with them.
- The Goddess - a possessed portrait that peppers the second-highest enmity target throughout the battle with vicious auto-attacks. It is wise to ensure that both tanks have the highest enmity at all times, preventing the Goddess from smiting squishier targets.
- Demonic Howl - an unavoidable raid-wide AoE that blasts the raid once Chadarnook emerges.
- Demonic Shear - a nasty tank-buster against Chadarnook's primary target. Be sure to mitigate the blast with cooldowns whenever possible.
- Possession (Fire) - Chadarnook approaches the centre of the arena and will noticeably begin to tether itself to the Fire painting. All players will need to use their Chocobo Brush (duty action) on the canvas directly in front of the tethered painting to acquire a Fire Resist buff. After a moderate delay, the Chadarnook will unleash a waft of unavoidable fire damage upon the raid, heavily (or even fatally) blasting anyone who did not acquire the resistance buff in time. After blasting the raid, Chadarnook will unleash another Demonic Howl (AoE) and Demonic Shear (tank-buster) before releasing itself from the painting.
- Possession (Earth) - Chadarnook approaches the centre of the arena and will noticeably begin to tether itself to the Earth painting. All players will need to use their Chocobo Brush (duty action) on the canvas directly in front of the tethered painting, granting them the ability to float over the ground in an Air Force mini-mount. After a moderate delay, the Chadarnook will unleash a seismic quake throughout the gallery, devastating any player who is still standing on the ground - as in, anyone who did not use the canvas in time.
- Prey - peppers two random players with a continuous wave of small AoE circles that will follow their movements. Targeted players should keep on the move until the effect expires, as standing still will result in constant damage. After marking two targets with Prey, Chadarnook will unleash another Demonic Howl (AoE) and Demonic Shear (tank-buster) before releasing itself from the painting.
- Possession (Water) - Chadarnook approaches the centre of the arena and will noticeably begin to tether itself to the Water painting. After a moderate delay, a devastating tidal wave will be released from the painting itself. Before the tidal wave is released, four random players will also be targeted with static AoE circles beneath their feet, forcing them to move. To avoid the upcoming tidal wave, at least one player must use their Chocobo Brush on the canvas directly in front of the painting to create a large boulder. Once the boulder has been formed, all players can stand behind it to avoid being crushed by the upcoming wave. Bear in mind that all canvas effects are temporary, so if someone creates the boulder too soon, it can disappear before the tidal wave hits, resulting in tremendous raid-wide damage and debuffs, so be careful!
- Possession (Wind) - Chadarnook approaches the centre of the arena and will noticeably begin to tether itself to the Wind painting. After being possessed, several cyclonic orbs will appear within the arena that will eventually detonate via AoE circles after a large delay. To prevent the raid from suffering damage, at least one player must utilize their Chocobo Brush on the canvas directly in front of the wind painting, providing themselves with a special mini-mount. Once mounted, players can use their pet-ability to blow cyclonic orbs away from the raid (which should make an effort to stack in a specific spot away from the blown orbs).
- Demonic Pain - marks four random players with proximity-tethers. After a delay, all four players will take unavoidable damage depending on their proximity to Chadarnook. To reduce damage, players should move away from the boss until the tether (which is bright pink when close) turns dark purple, indicating that they are at a safe distance.
- Flash Gale - creates a stack-up marker on a random player, forcing the raid to regroup and stand with the marked target to help share upcoming damage.
- Possession (Doubles) - from here on, Chadarnook will begin to possess two paintings simultaneously (rather than each one individually), forcing the raid to use their Chocobo Brush to handle various mechanical combos, but nothing you haven't already witnessed. As a rule of thumb, all paintings are countered by utilizing the canvas directly in front of them, so players should have no trouble handling two at once. Bear in mind - players are unable to use their brush when utilizing mini-mounts (air & earth), so if you require the boulder (water) or fire resistance (fire) for a mechanical combo, make sure to do that first before using the mount mechanics.
For example, if the Chadarnook possesses the Earth painting and Fire painting simultaneously, players will first need to acquire Fire Resistance by using their brush in front of the fire painting, then use their brush near the earth painting to acquire the flying mount, allowing them to resist the fire damage and be off-ground for the upcoming earthquake.
- Haunt - whilst dealing with the newfound wave of painting combinations, the Chadarnook will create an untargetable clone of itself that will persist for the remainder of the battle. While cloned, both Chadarnook's will overlap various non-painting mechanics, such as Prey, Demonic Pain, Demonic Howl, and Demonic Shear.
The fight will continue until the Chadarnook has been defeated, or the raid wipes. Good luck!
Treasure Coffer 1
Treasure Coffer 2
|A Battle Decisively Orchestrion Roll||Orchestrion Roll||Basic||1|