What is Experience?
Experience is the point system that drives the advancement of many aspects of the game, including but not limited to:
- Leveling of combat classes (Disciples of War and Disciples of Magic)
- Leveling of crafting/gathering classes (Disciples of the Hand and Disciples of the Land)
- Leveling of combat companions (specifically the Combat Chocobo, which is not covered in this guide currently)
There are many ways in which to earn experience, including but not limited to:
- Killing Monsters
- Completing Leves
- Participating in FATEs
- Completing Side Quests, Class Quests, and Main Storyline quests
- Completing Challenge Logs
- Completing Hunting Logs
- Completing Duty Roulettes
- Running Palace of the Dead
In addition to all of this, there are various ways in which you can boost the amount of experience you get from any of these particular activities! These come in many forms, specifically:
- Food buffs (Obtained from eating food items)
- Buffs from your Free Company (Obtained by having "Buff Actions" activated by high-ranking guild members)
- Wearing the Friendship Circlet (Obtained by recruiting a friend, or being recruited by a friend - and subscribing for at least 30 days)
- Wearing the Brand-new Ring (Obtained by completing all of the adventure guild trials for a singular role)
- Wearing the Ala Mhigan Earrings (Obtained by pre-ordering Stormblood)
- Wearing the Aetheryte Earring (Obtained by pre-ordering Shadowbringers)
- Rested EXP (Obtained over time by resting or logging out in 'Sanctuary' areas ((places with Aetheryte Shards)))
- Armoury Bonus (All combat classes lower-level than your highest level combat class will have a +100% EXP buff towards applicable activities until level 70, where it decreases to +50%)
In addition, some servers with low populations are designated as "Preferred", providing a passive buff called "The Road to 70" while on any class below level 70. This buff doubles all experience earned AFTER applying the appropriate bonuses.
Below are tables that denote the breakdown and application of the various EXP buffs to EXP-gaining activities in the game:
The Armoury Bonus is additional experience granted to any combat class you have that is NOT your highest level class. From levels 1-69, you receive +100% additional experience for secondary classes that are lower level than your highest level class. At level 70, this bonus decreases to only 50%. The amount of experience granted has nothing to do with the distance in levels from your highest class.
Additionally, the +10% experience from The Heat of Battle II (FC buff) - will stack on top of this buff to provide an additional 10% experience. So the Armoury bonus is 110% (armoury) + 10% (fc buff) instead of just 100%, while the FC buff is active. This is different from the other bonuses, as they do not receive additional experience from the FC buff.
The Armoury Bonus, as previously mentioned - does not apply to non-combat classes such as gatherers & crafters.
- Your highest level combat class is 20. You are playing as that class. You receive no armoury bonus.
- Your highest level combat class is 20. You are playing as a second combat class that is less than level 20. You are now receiving armoury bonus exp.
- Your highest level combat class is 20. You are playing a second combat class that is also level 20. You receive no armoury bonus.
The Armoury Bonus applies to the following sources of Combat EXP:
- Main Story Quests
- Palace of the Dead
- Dungeon Completion
COMBAT CLASS EXP TABLE
|Kills||Leves||FATES||Side-Quests||Main-Story Quests||Challenge Logs||Hunting Logs|
|FC Buff: Heat of Battle||+5%||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|FC Buff: Heat of Battle II||+10%||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|FC Buff: Heat of Battle III||+15%||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Squadron Battle Manual||+15%||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Ala Mhigan Earrings||+30%||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Armoury Bonus (pre-70)||+100%||+100%||+100%||No||No||No||No|
|Armoury Bonus (70+)||+50%||+50%||+50%||No||No||No||No|
- Friendship Circlet only provides its exp buff up to level 26
- Brand-new Ring only provides its exp buff up to level 31
- Ala Mhigan Earrings only provides its exp buff up to level 51
- Aetheryte Earring only provides its exp buff up to level 71
- Heat of Battle buffs cannot be stacked
CRAFTING/HARVESTING EXP TABLE
|Harvests||Crafts||Leves||Side-Quests||Challenge Logs||Crafting Logs|
|FC Buff: Earth and Water||+5%||No||No||No||No||No|
|FC Buff: Earth and Water II||+10%||No||No||No||No||No|
|FC Buff: Helping Hand||No||+5%||No||No||No||No|
|FC Buff: Helping Hand II||No||+10%||No||No||No||No|
|Ala Mhigan Earrings||+30%||+30%||No||No||No||No|
|Grand Company Buff: Survival||+50%||No||No||No||No||No|
|Grand Company Buff: Engineering||No||+50%||No||No||No||No|
- Armoury Bonus does not provide a bonus to DoH/DoL classes
- Earth and Water and Earth and Water II cannot be stacked
- Two of the same FC EXP Buff cannot be stacked with each other
Rested EXP is obtained by resting or logging out in a sanctuary--the area around any Aetheryte to which you can attune yourself to return to later. Such sanctuaries include city-States like (Gridania, Limsa Lominsa, Ul'dah, as well as any Aetheryte in the field that you can teleport to. Sanctuary status is indicated by a crescent moon symbol to the right of your experience bar.
Here's what we know about Rested EXP:
- It increases EXP gain by 50% for applicable activities.
- It can charge up to 1.5 full level bars. Reference
- All activities which benefit from Rested EXP will consume from the same bar
- It takes 4 days to gain the full 1.5 level bars.
- The % of the bar consumed remains the same regardless of level.
- If you queue into an instanced dungeon/guildhest while being in a Sanctuary, you will still accrue rested EXP as if you were in that sanctuary. This means that if you have run out of rested EXP but are still in a Sanctuary, you will occasionally still get a rested EXP bonus whenever an amount "tics" into your rested exp bank.
- Rumor: You may grow rested EXP faster if you are in a Sanctuary as a lower-level class than your highest? (Example: Lvl 50 DRG main logs out as a lvl 1 ROG). Testimony needed.
Challenge Logs & Hunting Logs
Challenge Logs are "weekly" and reset every Tuesday. These logs provide huge chunks of EXP for players who complete their objectives. You will receive a warning of when you are about to "complete" an objective, in case you want to switch to a different class and have them receive the reward.
Hunting Logs do not reset. They provide 1-time bonuses for completing their objectives, with a 1-time mega-bonus for completing an entire section of the logbook. Currently Hunting Logs are only for levels 1-50. There are no logs for 51-70.
Neither of the Logs benefit from any additional sources of EXP buffs.
- See also: Duty Roulette
Roulettes are the largest singular sources of EXP in the game. Participating in a Low-Level Daily Roulette will grant anywhere from 50-90% of a level upon completion (killing the final boss of the random dungeon) while under level 50. This is in addition to the experience obtained from killing the mobs/bosses in these dungeons, and in addition to completing Challenge Logs (which are easier to do in roulettes). The 50-90% range is based on the difference between your current level and the level of the dungeon. If you have been scaled down to a very low-level, you will receive a higher bonus. If you are the same-level or similar to the dungeon you'll receive less of a bonus. This can be done once per day and resets at 8AM PST/PDT.
High-level Roulettes do not reward any experience for monster/boss kills - but will still grant a chunk of bonus EXP upon completion of the dungeon. You can receive this bonus EXP once per day.
Additionally, you may queue for Guildhest Roulettes. These are small "trials" which test basic dungeoneering skills. Upon completion of a Guildhest Roulette, you will receive a large chunk of EXP (not as large as LLDR since it is not as extensive or time consuming). This is about 10-18% of a level. This can be done once per day and resets at 8AM PST/PDT. Further, each time you complete a type of Guildhest for the first time (per class) you will receive additional bonus EXP (one time per class per roulette only).
The following EXP values are granted for successful completion of roulettes for each level. DISCLAIMER: These values may vary based on a number of factors:
- Length of the dungeon
- Difference between your level and the level of the dungeon
- The amount of "new-comers" in the dungeon
- Whether or not you are receiving experience from the mobs or not in the dungeon (such as High-level or MSQ roulettes).
|Lvl||Low-Lvl Dungeon||High-Lvl Dungeon||Main Scenario||Trial||Guildhest||Total Combined|
|50||118,771 (13.74%)||184,755 (21.38%)||158,362 (18.33%)||90,720 (10.5%)||28,130 (3.25%)||67.2% of level|
|51||254,166 (24.01%)||136,080 (12.85%)||136,080 (12.85%)||181,440 (17.14%)||30,400 (2.87%)||69.72% of level|
|52||90,720 (7.16%)||90,720 (7.16%)||136,080 (10.74%)||68,040 (5.37%)||30,950 (2.44%)||32.87% of level|
|53||207,360 (13.33%)||172,800 (11.11%)||207,360 (13.33%)||77,760 (5.0%)||30,950 (1.99%)||44.76% of level|
|54||192,510 (10.23%)||172,800 (9.23%)||207,360 (11.07%)||30,950 (1.65%)|
|55||120,960 (5.45%)||282,240 (12.73%)||241,920 (10.9%)||120,960 (5.45%)||31,800 (1.43%)||35.96% of level|
|56||241,920 (9.33%)||282,240 (10.89%)||193,536 (7.46%)|
|57||234,000 (7.81%)||276,480 (9.23%)||276,480 (9.23%)||138,240 (4.61%)||30,710 (1.02%)||31.9% of level|
|58||184,320 (5.38%)||276,480 (8.07%)||276,480 (8.07%)||138,240 (4.03%)||138,240 (4.03%)||29.58% of level|
|59||470,166 (12.09%)||362,880 (9.33%)||311,040 (8%)||155,520 (4.00%)||30,320 (0.78%)||34.2% of level|
How do I maximize my EXP?
All roles benefit the most by doing the [Leveling], [Trial], and [Main Scenario] roulettes every day. However, due to the discrepancy between queue times for Tanks/Heals vs. DPS - you may find yourself having to skip the [Main Scenario] queue as a DPS. (Correct as of 01DEC16)
- If you are under level 26, do not forget to equip your Friendship Circlet!
- If you are under level 31, do not forget to also equip your Brand-new Ring!
- If you are under level 51, do not forget to also also equip your Ala Mhigan Earrings (Stormblood pre-order purchasers only).
- If you are under level 71, do not forget to also also equip your Aetheryte Earring (Shadowbringers pre-order purchasers only).
The best method for leveling up will be to do the following (ordered by priority);
- Leveling Roulette (simultaneously completes weekly Dungeon Challenge Logs)
- Alliance Roulette (if unlocked)
- Trial Roulette
- (If Tank/Heals) - Main Scenario Roulette
- (If under level 30) - Guildhest Roulette (simultaneously completes weekly Guildhest Challenge Logs)
- If you have rested EXP - queue for the highest level dungeon you can and do "full clears" (kill all the mobs). If you're a DPS below 50 and have a Rank 2 Squadron, consider Command Missions for instant queues.
- Otherwise do Deep Dungeons
- Complete daily Beast Tribe Quests (Stormblood), Grind FATEs, complete Hunting Logs, or advance the Main Scenario Quest (if available) while waiting in a dungeon queue or if you do not have any rested EXP.
- Due to the fact that the Hunting Log receives no benefit from the Armoury bonus (+100% EXP) - it is no longer a strong source of EXP. You should however still complete it if you intend to get a relic weapon.
Experience Points Required for each level
This applies to both combat levels as well as gathering/crafting levels.