Grand Companies are organizations that players will join at around level 20 by completing the main story quests. There are three grand companies, The Maelstrom from Limsa Lominsa, The Immortal Flames from Ul'dah, and The Order of the Twin Adder from Gridania.
Grand Companies are divided into numerous ranks, with players starting at the lowest rank of Private Third Class. Promotions can be earned with a special currency called Company Seals. These seals can also be exchanged with the Grand Company Quartermaster for weapons, armour, crafting materials, and items such as Ventures.
- Participating in FATEs and the Duty Roulette also awards Company Seals once players have joined a Grand Company
- Players do not need to choose the Grand Company from their city of origin and can also change their Grand Company later if they wish.
Adventurer Squadrons allow players to take command of soldiers in their respective Grand Companies. Players can deploy these recruits on missions (similar to Retainer Ventures) to gain rewards, as well as experience for recruits. Note: A rank of Second Lieutenant or higher is required.
Additionally, recruits of a sufficient rank can be taken on Command Missions, allowing them to join you in dungeons as NPC party members.
The Immortal Flames
The Order of the Twin Adder
Supply and Provision Missions
Grand Companies are always in need of supplies in their daily operations. Players can earn experience points for specific classes and company seals by crafting or gathering the items required and delivering them. Talk to a Grand Company Personnel Officer to complete the delivery.
- There is one daily request for every crafting and gathering class each, and the experience rewarded is given to the respective class.
- The items required changes every day, with higher-level items being requested as the corresponding class levels up. Players can check the items by selecting the Timers under the Duty tab in the main menu.
- Items with a star next to them will yield extra experience points. This is on top of any HQ bonuses.
- Supply and Provision Missions reset every day at 21:00 server time.
Expert Delivery Missions
Grand Companies also accept rare equipment. Players can donate these sellable items to their grand companies in exchange for seals. Players can speak to a Grand Company Personnel Officer to donate items. Note: A rank of Sergeant Second Class or higher is required.
- Acceptable items include all gear that with names that are not yellow in their help window. This includes most items of Aetherial rarity or higher.
- You must have reached Sergeant Second Class in your grand company to unlock this option.
- Equipment items obtained from dungeons, trials, or tomestone vendors may be repeatedly delivered as desired. However, weapons and armor that can be repurchased from the Calamity Salvager (such as most gear obtained from job quests) cannot be delivered.
Grand Company Leves
Players can complete these special levequests to earn items, experience and company seals. Leves can be done for any Grand Company, but a seals bonus is awarded for leves matching the player's chosen company.
Changing Grand Companies
Once a player reaches the rank of Second Lieutenant, they will also be eligible to change their Grand Company altogether. Doing so will reset you to the lowest rank of Private Third Class unless you have been with your new company previously. Your squadron will move with you once you unlock the required rank again. Company Seals will not carry over, but they will still be at your old company if you ever transfer back. You cannot wear gear from a company you are not currently pledged to.
- After changing your allegiance, you must wait 15 days before changing again.
- The first change is free, but any subsequent changes will cost 50,000 gil.
Upon returning to a Grand Company after a transfer, your previous rank will be restored, allowing you to 'max out' all three Grand Companies if you wish.
|Rank||Seals Needed for Next Rank||Maximum Seals||Comments|
|Private Third Class||2000||10,000|
|Private Second Class||3000||15,000|
|Private First Class||4000||20,000|
|Sergeant Third Class||6000||30,000||Must complete Company Hunting Log Rank 1|
|Sergeant Second Class||7000||35,000||Unlocks Expert Delivery|
|Sergeant First Class||8000||40,000|
|Chief Sergeant||9000||45,000||Must complete Shadows Uncast|
|Second Lieutenant||10,000||50,000||Must complete Gilding the Bilious
Must complete Company Hunting Log Rank 2
Unlocks The Hunt
Unlocks Adventurer Squadrons
|First Lieutenant||0||80,000||When your squadron reaches Rank 3 in Adventurer Squadrons|
|Captain||0||90,000||Must complete 5 Unique Command Missions
Must complete Flagged Mission: Sapper Strike
|Second Commander||Ranks higher than Captain are visible in the menu but currently unattainable.|
For thousands of years, Eorzea has been a victim to catastrophic cycles of destruction and rebirth that periodically envelops the realm and threatens all who live upon her soil; each time faced with a tragedy seemingly worse than the last. Despite this, the peoples of Eorzea have found some way to persevere.
One method, seemingly going back hundreds of generations, has been the establishment of comprehensive command centres which combine the military, economic and technological resources of a city-state to better prepare for the coming doom. These are the Grand Companies of Eorzea.
The last recorded emergence of the Grand Companies was nearly 1,500 years ago, at the end of the Fifth Astral Era and the arrival of the great deluge which triggered the dark period known as the Sixth Umbral Era. It was through these companies that the then warring city-states were able to put aside their bitter differences and join together to form an alliance and ensure the realm survived.
With the recent attacks by the Garlean Empire seen as an imminent threat to the realm, there have been scattered talks of restoring the Grand Companies to their former glory, but conflicting agendas on all sides have slowed progress. That is, until the appearance of an adventurer who set in motion the wheels of hope.