For thousands of years, Eorzea has been victim to a catastrophic cycle of destruction and rebirth that periodically envelops the realm and threatens all who live upon her soil; each time faced with a tragedy seemingly worse than the last, however, the peoples of Eorzea have found some way to persevere. One method, seemingly going back hundreds of generations, has been the establishment of comprehensive command centers which combine the military, economic, and technological resources of a city-state in order to better prepare it for the coming doom. These are the Grand Companies of Eorzea.
The last recorded emergence of the Grand Companies was nearly 1,500 years ago, at the end of the Fifth Astral Era and the arrival of the great deluge which triggered the dark period known as the Sixth Umbral Era. It was through these companies that the then warring city-states were able to put aside their bitter differences and join together to form an alliance and ensure the realm survived.
As the Sixth Astral Era drew to a close, the three city-states of Limsa Lominsa, Gridania, and Ul'dah once again revived the Grand Companies—a final attempt to forestall the coming of the Seventh Umbral Era. With a number of remarkably talented adventurers among their ranks, they stood fast against the beast tribes and the savage might of the primals, as well as the Garlean Empire, the invaders from the north.
Despite their valiant attempts, however, the Calamity could not be avoided, and the lesser moon, Dalamud, descended upon the Carteneau Flats. From its core emerged the elder primal Bahamut, who rained fire upon the realm. So it was that the Seventh Umbral Era began.
Five years on from the devastation, aided by adventurers, the Grand Companies of Eorzea now strive to raise the realm from the ashes.
— Grand Companies of Eorzea on Lodestone
Grand Companies are organizations that players will join around level 20 by completing the main story quests. There are three grand companies, The Maelstrom from Limsa Lominsa, The Immortal Flames from Ul'dah, and The Order of the Twin Adder from Gridania.
Grand Companies are divided into numerous ranks, with players starting at the lowest rank of Private Third Class. Promotions can be earned with a special currency generically called Company Seals. These seals can also be exchanged with the Grand Company Quartermaster for weapons, armor, crafting materials, and items such as Ventures.
- Participating in FATEs and a couple Duty Roulettes also award Company Seals once players have joined a Grand Company.
- Players do not need to choose the Grand Company from their city of origin and can also change their Grand Company later if they wish.
Grand Companies are always in need of supplies in their daily operations. Players can earn experience points for specific classes and company seals by crafting or gathering the items required and delivering them. Talk to a Grand Company Personnel Officer to complete the delivery.
- There is one daily request for every crafting and gathering class each, and the experience rewarded is given to the respective class.
- The items required changes every day, with higher-level items being requested as the corresponding class levels up. Players can check the items by selecting the Timers under the Duty tab in the main menu.
- Items with a star next to them will yield extra experience points. This is on top of any HQ bonuses.
- Players do not necessarily need to craft or gather the items themselves and can acquire them through any means, such as using the Market Board.
- Supply and Provision Missions reset every day at 8PM GMT. This is five hours after the normal Daily Reset.
Note: All the companies' supply (crafting) requests provide double rewards (both EXP and seals) if you turn in HQ items.
Expert Delivery Missions
Grand Companies also accept certain equipment. Players can donate these sellable items to their grand companies in exchange for seals. Players can speak to the Grand Company Personnel Officer to donate items.
Note: A rank of Sergeant Second Class or higher is required.
- Acceptable items include all gear with names that are not yellow in their help window. Items must be of Aetherial, Dungeon, or Tomestone rarity. In addition, the item must be sellable to vendors, which is indicated by a "Sells for" value in its tooltip.
- For example, equipment items obtained from dungeons, trials, or tomestone vendors may be repeatedly delivered as desired. However, weapons and armor that can be repurchased from the Calamity Salvager (such as most gear obtained from job quests) cannot be delivered.
- There is no difference in reward between normal quality and high quality gear, although an additional confirmation prompt will appear if the player selects a piece of HQ equipment to trade.
- item level (IL). The growth in seal reward decreases as item level increases. Note that in the following formulae, any non-integer results are rounded up to the nearest integer.
- IL ≤ 200: Seals = 5.75 × IL
- 200 < IL ≤ 400: Seals = 2 × IL + 750
- 400 < IL ≤ 530: Seals = 1.75 × IL + 850.5
- 530 < IL ≤ 660: Seals = 1.6667 × IL + 895
- You must have reached Sergeant Second Class in your grand company to unlock this option.
Players can complete these special levequests to earn items, experience and company seals. Leves can be done for any Grand Company, but a seals bonus is awarded for leves matching the player's chosen company.
Adventurer Squadrons allow players to take command of soldiers in their respective Grand Companies. Players can deploy these recruits on missions (similar to Retainer Ventures) to gain rewards, as well as experience for recruits.
Note: A rank of Second Lieutenant or higher is required.
Additionally, recruits of a sufficient rank can be taken on Command Missions, allowing them to join you in certain dungeons as NPC party members.
|Rank||Seals Needed for Next Rank||Maximum Seals||Comments|
|Private Third Class||2000||10,000|
|Private Second Class||3000||15,000|
|Private First Class||4000||20,000|
|Sergeant Third Class||6000||30,000||Must complete Company Hunting Log Rank 1|
Unlocks Grand Company Leves
|Sergeant Second Class||7000||35,000||Unlocks Expert Delivery|
|Sergeant First Class||8000||40,000|
|Chief Sergeant||9000||45,000||Must complete Shadows Uncast|
Unlocks Grand Company Leves in Mor Dhona (Eidhart)
|Second Lieutenant||10,000||50,000||Must complete Gilding the Bilious|
Must complete Company Hunting Log Rank 2
Unlocks Player Housing, The Hunt, and Adventurer Squadrons
|First Lieutenant||0||80,000||Adventurer Squadrons Rank 3 by completing Flagged Mission: Crystal Recovery|
|Captain||0||90,000||Must complete 5 unique Command Missions|
Must complete Flagged Mission: Sapper Strike
|Second Commander||Ranks higher than Captain are visible in the menu but currently unattainable.|
Changing Grand Companies
Once a player reaches the rank of Second Lieutenant, they will also be eligible to change their Grand Company altogether. Doing so will reset you to the lowest rank of Private Third Class unless you have been with your new company previously. Your squadron will move with you once you unlock the required rank again. Company Seals will not carry over, but they will still be at your old company if you ever transfer back. You cannot wear gear from a company you are not currently pledged to.
- After changing your allegiance, you must wait 15 days before changing again.
- The first change is free, but any subsequent changes will cost 50,000 gil.
Upon returning to a Grand Company after a transfer, your previous rank will be restored, allowing you to 'max out' all three Grand Companies if you wish.
Main article: Grand Company Achievements
Grand Company activities are associated with several achievements.