Quests are tasks offered by the citizens of Eorzea, which the player can accept and complete for a variety of rewards. Each quest has a different goal, such as talking to certain NPCs, collecting items, and killing monsters. While some quests offer story progression or build upon the lore of the game, others will unlock special features and award the player with items.
Quests do not need to be completed immediately upon acceptance, and can be quit at any time from the player's journal. Up to 30 quests can be accepted at any given time. They can be loosely dived into subcategories based on the content and rewards they offer.
Main Scenario Quests are quests that tell the main story of Final Fantasy XIV. These quests often have cutscenes and voice acting, and also unlock important features of the game: airship travel, Grand Company access, a personal chocobo mount, as well as dungeons and trials are unlocked through progression of the main questline.
Initially, the Main Scenario Quests differ depending on the player's starting city (Gridania, Limsa Lominsa, or Ul'dah). These stories converge at the quest It's Probably Pirates, and remain the same from that point onward.
Chronologically, the Main Scenario Quests are divided as follows:
- Seventh Umbral Era Quests – Level 1-50 story quests released in Patch 2.0 as part of the base game A Realm Reborn.
- Seventh Astral Era Quests – Level 50 story quests that continue the A Realm Reborn story through Patches 2.1-2.5.
- Heavensward Main Scenario Quests – Level 50-60 story quests released in Patch 3.0 with the expansion Heavensward.
- Dragonsong War Quests – Level 60 story quests that continue the Heavensward story through Patches 3.1-3.5.
- Stormblood Main Scenario Quests – Level 60-70 story quests released in Patch 4.0 with the expansion Stormblood.
- The Legend Returns Quests – Level 70 story quests that continue the Stormblood story though Patches 4.1-4.56.
- Shadowbringers Main Scenario Quests – Level 70-80 story quests released in Patch 5.0 with the expansion Shadowbringers.
- Post-Shadowbringers Main Scenario Quests – Level 80 story quests that continue the Shadowbringers story though Patches 5.1-5.5.
- Side Story Quests – These quests offer lighthearted and complex stories that build upon the lore of the game, outside of the Main Scenario Quests. Some optional game features such as relic weapons are tied behind these quests.
- Chronicles of a New Era Quests – These quests have more serious stories and unlock challenging content such as Extreme-difficulty primal battles and raids.
- Seasonal Events Quests – These quests are available for a limited time only but give unique rewards.
- Grand Company Quests – These quests move the player through the ranks of their chosen Grand Company.
- Other Side Quests – Many side quests give nothing of note, but are a good source of EXP and gil while offering a look into the more day-to-day aspects of Eorzean life.
Class quests and job quests are given by your class guild master and other leaders of your chosen profession. They can be completed to earn new skills and abilities, along with gear and other items. These quests are available every few levels and it is recommended to complete them as soon as they become available.
- Class Quests – These quests cover the story up to level 30 for each combat class, and through all levels for the crafting and gathering classes.
- Job Quests – Combat classes turn into jobs at level 30, after which the quests are considered job quests.
- Role Quests - Introduced in Shadowbringers (5.0), for combat jobs
- Crystalline Mean Quests - Introduced in Shadowbringers (5.0), for crafting and gathering classes
Repeatable quests can be completed multiple times, with some limitations. Restrictions are often daily or weekly, but some only require the player to complete the quest before accepting it again.
- Beast Tribe Quests – These quests can be repeated daily once players have unlocked access to the beast tribe. Quest completion increases Reputation with the beast tribe; higher Reputation ranks unlock unique items with that faction. Players are given 12 beast tribe quest allowances a day.
Feature quests are quests that unlock certain features in the game. Some Main Scenario Quests may also fall under this category, but are not labeled as such.
- Instance Quests – These quests unlock instances like dungeons and trials.
- The Hunt Quests – Access to The Hunt in various regions can be unlocked through these quests.
- Location Quests – Some locations in Eorzea are locked behind these quests.
- Glamour and Customization Quests – Features unlocked through these quests allow the player to customize their character through glamour and other methods.
- Aether Current Quests – These quests must be completed before flying in Heavensward+ locations.
- Miscellaneous Quests – Many features unlocked via quests do not fall under a particular category.
Repeatable feature quests are quests that unlock certain features in the game, and can also be completed multiple times, with some limitations. They are mostly used for quests related to relic weapons, but there are a few that are not related to relic weapons.
- Relic Weapon Quests – Some quests in the relic weapon questline are repeatable for the completion of multiple weapons.
Levequests are special repeatable quests that require leve allowances to accept. These quests are are offered by levemetes and fall into three main groups: battlecraft, tradecraft and fieldcraft. Completion of levequests rewards the player with items and a significant amount of EXP.
- Battlecraft Levequests – These quests can be completed by a player in a Disciple of War or a Disciple of Magic class/job.
- Tradecraft Levequests – These quests can be completed by a player using a Disciple of the Hand job.
- Fieldcraft Levequests – These quests can be completed by a player using a Disciple of the Land job.