- See also: Trials
Relive harrowing battles of your past in the form of "Unreal" battles to create gripping tales you can share with a peculiar talking fox. Succeed and you will have the opportunity to play a special mini-game that offers unique rewards.
— Lodestone description (Patch 5.3 notes)
Faux Hollows is a minigame first introduced in patch 5.3 that functions as the reward for completing unreal trials, which are older extreme trials scaled up to the current level cap.
Complete the level 80 quest Fantastic Mr. Faux. Start the quest by speaking to Painfully Ishgardian Man in Idyllshire (X:7.0 Y:5.9). Players must first complete the main scenario quest Shadowbringers (Quest) and the quest Keeping Up with the Aliapohs.
Unreal trials are new versions of familiar duties, designed to challenge players who have reached the current level cap by providing an experience of similar difficulty to the original versions of these encounters at the time of their release.
Players must complete the story-mode version of the trial to unlock the unreal, if it is the current trial. They do not need to have completed the extreme version.
List of Unreal Trials
With each major patch the current Unreal Trial is retired, and a new Unreal Trial is introduced.
Faux Hollows Overview
Once per week, players may speak to the Faux Commander after completing an unreal trial to gain access to Faux Hollows.
- Availability is reset every Tuesday at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) (Earth time), and can be confirmed via the Raid Finder entry for any unreal trial.
Playing Faux Hollows
The objective of Faux Hollows is to reveal the illustrations hidden beneath one or more panels. Only eleven panels can be turned in total when playing. Successfully uncover illustrations and earn faux leaves, which can be exchanged for various rewards. The amount of faux leaves awarded differs depending on the size and nature of the illustration uncovered.
The Faux Hollows board consists of a 6x6 grid of panels. Five panels will be blocked. There are four patterns of blocked panels, although these can be rotated in any cardinal direction, making a total of 16 board patterns.
The following illustrations may appear:
- Faux Commander (small): Rarely appears, but can only spawn in fixed locations, depending on the board pattern and the locations of the medium and large illustrations. Occupies one panel. Will reward 100 Faux Leaves if revealed.
- Treasure Chest or Present (medium): One of the two will always appear. Occupies 4 panels in a 2x2 pattern. The Treasure Chest will reward 35 Faux Leaves and the Present will reward 25 Faux Leaves.
- Dual Swords (large): Always appears. Occupies 6 panels in a 2x3 or 3x2 pattern. Will reward 15 Faux Leaves and a retelling (see below).
Uncovering a large illustration grants a retelling. With this reward, it is possible to complete an unreal trial and access Faux Hollows once more before a week has passed, making it a viable alternative to solely aiming for illustrations that grant a high number of faux leaves.
- Players may only earn one retelling per week.
Faux Leaves can be exchanged with the Faux Commander in Idyllshire (X:5.7 Y:6.1) for rewards, some only obtainable via Faux Hollows.
Faux Hollows is associated with the following achievements:
|Friend or Faux I||5||Play Faux Hollows for the first time.||-|
|Friend or Faux II||5||Play Faux Hollows 5 times.||Partner in Teatime|
|Friend or Faux III||5||Play Faux Hollows 20 times.||-|
|Friend or Faux IV||10||Play Faux Hollows 50 times.||Vrai Ami (Male) / Vraie Amie (Female)|