As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness
As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness
Lucia is not one to rest on her laurels.
— In-game description
- Optional rewards
- 1 Primal Accessories of Aiming Coffer
- 1 Primal Accessories of Healing Coffer
- 1 Primal Accessories of Casting Coffer
- 7 Allagan Silver Piece
- Speak with Aymeric.
- Rescue the hostages! 0/6
- Speak with Alphinaud.
- As you and the others debate how best to proceed, Ser Aymeric enters the room in the company of lords Edmont and Artoirel to the delight and relief of all present. Alas, the resulting mood of optimism is soon soured by the arrival of a panicked knight bearing grave tidings: a rebel faction calling themselves the True Brothers of the Faith have seized control of the Vault, and taken the refugees sheltering within hostage. Needless to say, the lord commander cannot bow to the demands of such zealots, leaving him with but one option: an armed assault. Without hesitation, you and your fellow Scions volunteer to help, prompting Lord Artoirel to pledge his support as well.
- Though you succeed in sneaking into the basilica undetected, the rebels soon catch wind of your presence, and attempt to execute the hostages. Fortunately, they are no match for you and your allies, and together you are able to rescue all but one of their captives -- a young girl name Maelie, whom you learn was borne off to the upper levels by a priest. You, Ser Aymeric, and Lord Artoirel have no choice but to give chase.
- You finally corner the priest on the uppermost level of the Vault, and Ser Aymeric demands his immediate surrender. Alas, the man will not hear reason, being convinced beyond all doubt that Ser Aymeric is a traitor to both kin and country. In a final act of defiance, he throws Maelie from the ledge, sending the child tumbling towards the plaza.
Far below, Lucia and Y'shtola can only watch in horror as the screaming figure plummets towards them. But just when all hope seems lost, a great white dragon swoops down to pluck her from the very jaws of death. Vidofnir!
Soon after, you, Ser Aymeric, and Lord Artoirel join the others outside, where Vidofnir is waiting to deliver a warning from Hraesvelgr. It would seem Nidhogg and his brood have flown for skies unknown. When Alphinaud subsequently presses the dragon for answers regarding Estinien, she declares that she can provide none, and bids you farewell. Though her visit was all too brief, Ser Aymeric hopes that it will do much to change the opinions of the common man. Yet Lord Edmont, who does not share in his optimism, implores the young knight to move with greater caution, lest more perish in his headlong rush for change -- not least Ser Aymeric himself, whom the count plainly cherishes as a son.
- In the wake of Vidofnir's departure, Y'shtola speaks to you privately regarding Thancred, in whom she senses a troubling change. According to her, his aetheric flow has been disrupted in a manner which would theoretically prevent him from wielding all magicks, teleportation included. Though she stresses that this is as yet mere speculation, it would do much to explain why he did not risk seeking out the Scions upon learning that a primal had been summoned. In the absence of proof, however, you have no choice but to remain silent and attend Alphinaud in Fortemps Manor.
- As you discuss recent events with Alphinaud and Tataru, lords Artoirel and Emmanellain enter, having come to present you all a token of their gratitude: a House Fortemps shield fit for a true knight. It soon becomes clear, however, that this was not Artoirel's only reason for seeking an audience when he reveals that Count Edmont means to step aside, leaving him to take his father's place as the head of House Fortemps. In this way, Count Edmont intends to rid the house of the lingering suspicion that it was complicit in a coup d'etat orchestrated by Ser Aymeric. Yet while Lord Artoirel had long dreamed of this day, it would seem that the recent revelations regarding the founding fathers of Ishgard had prompted him question the value of his birthright -- until, that is, he recalled his late brother's words: “A knight lives to serve -- to aid those in need.” And so he vows to follow Haurchefant's proud example and labor for the greater good of Ishgard. And should his resolve waver, he hopes that you will show him the way -- as a [brother/sister].
Solo Duty Walkthrough
Upon speaking with Aymeric for the second time, you will enter a solo duty. Time is of the essence, as you must rescue a number of hostages before they are struck down by members of the True Brothers of the Faith.
- Y'shtola, Alphinaud, Thancred, Artoirel, and Aymeric will join you in this endeavor. If you are concerned about healing, Artoirel possesses a potent Cure spell and will accompany you all throughout the duty. However, keep potions handy in case of an emergency.
- You goal is to locate the six hostages scattered throughout the basilica. Make it a priority to take out enemies targeting the hostages first: if a single hostage dies, or if Aymeric falls, the duty will fail.
- The first hostage can be found by following the main path and killing a group of enemies. Y'shtola will stay behind with the hostage.
- Follow the newly-opened path to the second hostage -- and more enemies -- at its end. Allow your allies to take the lead and draw the attention of enemies in front while you rush to target those hurting the hostage. Like Y'shtola, Alphinaud and Thancred will stay behind with the hostage.
- Continue forward, defeating any enemies along the way. A cutscene will trigger when you reach the Quire. The fight gets more difficult after this: not only will you have to worry about the health of the remaining hostages, but the health of Aymeric as well. Be quick.
- The third and fourth hostages can be found by backtracking down the stairs you came from and proceeding into the nearby hallway on your right. Dispatch the enemies, and make sure to unbind the hostages before continuing on.
- The fifth hostage is located back where you split up with Alphinaud, Thancred and the second hostage. The gate that was previously closed is now open, and the hostage can be found within: defeat the enemies, unbind the hostage, and then rush back to Aymeric.
- Upon entering the battlefield with Aymeric, the boss Simeonard of the Holiest Flame will immediately target you. However, focus on dispatching Aymeric's current target first to prevent his health from depleting further. Defeat Simeonard once all other enemies has been dealt with. With the deed done, go up the stairs to find the sixth hostage and finish the duty.