The Greatest Story Never Told
The Greatest Story Never Told
The realm of Eorzea is filled with countless mysteries, but there is only one which Valiant Hart wishes to solve.
— In-game description
- 1 Rewards
- 2 Walkthrough
- 2.1 Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#1)
- 2.2 Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#2)
- 2.3 Speak with Valiant Hart.
- 2.4 Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#3)
- 2.5 Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#4)
- 2.6 Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#5)
- See also: Winebaud's Riddles
Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#1)
- Checking the Windbaud's Message point of interest will reveal a series of scrambled letters above the following message:
- FIRE / LIGHTNING / WATER / EARTH / ICE / WIND
The wheel must turn anew.
- This series of elements is important to deciphering the scrambled text.
- Make sure to remember this order of the messages as it's essential to the next part.
- Yayaroku tells you that the elements are from Essences and Permutations but the sequence is wrong; it should be LIGHTNING / FIRE / EARTH / ICE / WATER / WIND.
- By rearranging the tokens in this order, you get the unscrambled name of a map waypoint.
|Scrambled Text||Waypoint Name||Location|
|REN / FLO / SPI / TEL / 'S / RE||Florentel's Spire||North Shroud, in a building near the exit to Coerthas Central Highlands.|
|HO / OSC / BRA / N'S / EM / CE||Oschon's Embrace||Lower La Noscea, north of Moraby Drydocks|
|AL / TH / SPI / 'S / RE / TE||Thal's Respite||Eastern Thanalan, Northeast part of Eastern Thanalan, west of the South Shroud exit. In the actual building next to the Thal's Respite Area|
- Talk to the Novice Explorer waiting for you at one of these locations.
- At long last... does the wheel turn anew? Are you the one for whom I have waited?</p>
Praise the Twelve! Master Windbaud told me it might be years, even decades, until one came — if someone came, but I swore an oath, so I couldn't—
You don't understand; this is all so exciting! But you're not here for that, or for me. You're here for the treasure, aren't you?
This is Master Winebaud's Journal, and it belongs to you now.
No, no, that's not true. It was always yours — you had yet to claim it, is all. Keep it close, fellow explorer! This is only the beginning!
- From the Novice Explorer, you gain the key item Windbaud's Travel Log.
- Talk to Valiant Hart.
- Player Name, you've returned! Tell me, have you solved Winebaud's riddle? Where did it lead you? The journal of the explorer himself! I knew I was right to trust in you.
- I have news to share as well, though it is not quite as uplifting. I have deciphered another passage, only to find myself confronted with yet another inscrutable riddle.
- But I'm sure you'll have no trouble with it, given how quickly you deduced the answer to the first one! You'll find my translation next to the message as before.
- I'm counting on you, my puzzle aficionado!
Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#2)
- Checking Windbaud's Message again gives you your next clue.
- You will get one of three riddles to solve, either "Memenugu knows the steps." (for letters), or "Jahelle knows her sums" (for numbers), or "Isouda knows the truth" (another riddle).
He gives you the algorithm to decipher the second coded message. For each letter of the scrambled text, either choose the next letter, or the previous letter in the alphabet, with Z and A wrapping around to each other. Starting with the first letter of the message, the pattern is (next), (next), (previous)…, as shown below.
- So if I understand you correctly, a riddle on a statue said I know "the steps"? A riddle written by Winebaud? I'm sorry, but I haven't the foggiest what that could mean.
- I swear, famed explorer or not, that old man was a bloody fool when it came to combat. This "step" nonsense reminds me of the time he tried to critique the form of my Elezen associate.
- "Two steps forward, one step back. Over and over again, until the end." Gods, he said it so many times it's been stuck in my head ever since!
|GNMKNXDC IDZWDMTOHMKZS AQJCFF||HOLLOWED HEAVENSPILLAR BRIDGE||North Shroud, near entrance to central.|
|AQPMYF KZLD GPS RQQHOFR||BRONZE LAKE HOT SPRINGS||Upper La Noscea on the upper level of Camp Bronze Lake (31,22).|
|GNND NG SGF BNFTQMBKBV||HOME OF THE COEURLCLAW||South Shroud (30,19), in a cave north of the Takers' Rot waypoint.|
"Jahelle knows her sums."
She gives you the way to decipher the second coded message. Each two numbers correspond to a letter in the alphabet (01 is A, 02 is B, and so on).
- Hah! Winebaud carved a riddle on a statue... and included my name along with it? I ought to be flattered, but I'm just confused.
- This "sums" nonsense reminds me of all the times he argued with me over his bill. Time and time again I would have to show him the calculations, and when I was finished, he would always apologize in the same queer way:
- "I learned the letters of mathematics, but alas, not the grammar." I don't know why; a simple sorry would have sufficed.
|260516082518 0418090620||ZEPHYR DRIFT||Middle La Noscea (23,26), amongst some trees.|
|0805121290218151504 0815120519||HELLSBROOD HOLES||Central Thanalan (15,14), Just South of the Cutter's Cry dungeon.|
|180504 130114200919 0601121219||RED MANTIS FALLS||Eastern La Noscea (16,27), beneath an overpass, looking west toward the falls.|
"Isouda knows the truth."
She gives you another riddle to figure out.
- I know “the truth?” That does not sound like something the Winebaud I knew would write.
- He was cantankerous and contrary to a fault. No matter the subject, he would, without fail, hold the exact opposite opinion. Whenever I pointed this out, he would offer the same insufferable retort:
- "The opposite of nonsense is sense."
- I have never been a violent person, but that old man nearly made me one.
The text that was part of Winebaud's note is a clue to the location of a ??? point of interest in one of the main cities.
|ETAG FLOW ETHW||White Wolf Gate||New Gridania (9,13), hiding behind some pots.|
|SEMALF FO LLAH||Hall of Flames||Ul'dah - Steps of Nald (8,9), in the fountain pool to the right of the entrance.|
|SCITEHTSEA S'EMIATHSE||Eshtaime's Aesthetics||Ul'dah - Steps of Thal (10,12), Next to the sign, north of Estaime's Aestetics.|
- Magicked runes float across your eyes, assuming familiar shapes
- Seeker of treasure and truth, I congratulate and bid you welcome.
- Who are you, I wonder, and why have you come this far? What drives you to solve my riddles, and what do you expect to find?
- You must wonder what kind of man I was as well. Doubtless you have heard stories — some more flattering than others.
- But I have rambled enough, and you must be rewarded! Allow me to share with you a verse written by my favorite poet Clandestine rendezvous leave me breathless and wanting obsession consumes me, a thirst for the taboo.
Speak with Valiant Hart.
- A message written in magicked runes? Amazing! Though the content was rather disappointing, now that I think on it. I was expecting a clue to the treasure's location.
- Oh, I almost forgot! I've finished translating another riddle. Why don't you go and take a look?
Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#3)
- Check Winebaud's Message again. This gives you a phrase with some letters capitalized.
- “The members of the Marauders' Guild understand the importance of etiquette.”
- You will find a ??? point of interest in the Marauders' Guild in Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks. This gives you your next clue.
- A treatise on cultivating interpersonal relationships and influencing others catches your eye. You open it to the bookmarked page and take note of an underlined passage:
- A deliberate display of emotion, as befits the situation, can be effective in deepening your relationships with others.
|Capitalized Text||Capitalized Letters (unscrambled)||Location|
|HylLfyr's cUtthroAts and briGands||LAUGH||Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks- The Astalicia (tip of the bow)|
|All foR fen-YLL||RALLY||Below the Leatherworker's Guild in Old Gridania|
|rope ANd wooD aCross thE gully||DANCE||The second bridge to the south of Wineport (The ??? will appear in the center)|
|Under tRanqUilIty's FoOtpathS||FURIOUS||Beneath the bridge leading south from Camp Tranquil, directly east of The Lost City of Amdapor.|
|cOncealed belah'dian maJestY||JOY||The Invisible City in Eastern Thanalan (15,17)|
|PulPy, NuTritiOus, And decIDedly DElicious cItruS||DISAPPOINTED||Near Summerford Farms in Middle La Noscea (21.9,15.8)|
|sappHires and peaRls, fortUnes Great and Small||SHRUG||Ul'Dah, steps between Pearl Lane and Sapphire Avenue Exchange|
|CherIsh the sPinniNg wAter lullaby||PANIC||Watermilll in Hyrstmill, North Shroud|
|red ligHt amidst the blUe Haze||HUH||By a torch in Northern Thanalan, near the top of the castle wall. (21.1, 29.4)|
- Once you have emoted towards the ???, the following appears:
- “Magicked runes float across your eyes, assuming familiar shapes…”
- “[Windbaud's Message]<p>Seeker of treasure and truth, I must congratulate you once more! Let us celebrate your latest accomplishment with another verse from my favorite poet:</p><p>Perchance we meet in public, be not a beguiler. Ply me not with honeyed words, and spare me glances alluring.</p>…”
- Talk to Valiant Hart.
That curiosity aside, why is he continuing to spout poetry? Bah, never mind. For now, let us focus on the next riddle, which I've just finished translating. It's waiting for you!
- Check Winebaud's Message the for the next clue.
Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#4)
- You will be given the following phrase.
- If SWORD+SWORD=DAGGER, then return to me with X of X. The master of the markets has my list.
- "X" are replaced with 2 variable letters, see below.
- You will now need to travel to your home nation and talk to one of these NPC's to find out the list.
|Parsemontret||Old Gridania||In the middle of the Markets|
|Seseroga||Ul'dah - Steps of Thal||In the middle of the Markets|
|Swozblaet||Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks||In the middle of the Markets|
- Once talking to the NPC you will receive the list.
The adventurer returns, asking after a...Winebaud? Yes, I remember now. He requested my assistance in locating a number of items many years ago. However, his list lacked sufficient information, and I was unable to proceed. Fortunately for you, I am loath to dispose of any documents related to business. Now where did I...? Ah, here we are.
- Winebaud's List:
- 1 = Pearl
- 2 = Fluorite
- 3 = Malachite
- 4 = Choker
- 5 = Sunstone
- 6 = Earrings
- 7 = Ring
- 8 = Bracelet
To be fair, it matters not if it were more detailed. A dead man cannot pay a finder's fee, after all.
- So to work out SWORD+SWORD=DAGGER you have to add two five digit numbers to make a six digit number.
- The highest number you can make is 87,654. So 87,654×2=175,308, which is the max number that Dagger can be. This means that D has to be "1".
- With D as number 1 means that R (1+1 no carried forward) has to be "2"
- With R as number 2 means that E (2+2 no carried forward) has to be "4" etc...
- (Below is the solved puzzle)
- SWORD + SWORD = DAGGER
- 78321 + 78321 = 156642
- Using the numbers you can match up the letters with the list to see what item you need.
- Known Combinations.
- G of R = Fluorite Earrings
- G of O = Malachite Earrings
- G of A = Sunstone Earrings
- S of R = Fluorite Ring
- S of O = Malachite Ring
- S of A = Sunstone Ring
- W of R = Fluorite Bracelet
- W of O = Malachite Bracelet
- W of A = Sunstone Bracelet
- With the item equipped check the Winebaud's Message.
- Talk to Valiant Hart.
Solve the Explorer's Riddle. (#5)
- For this you will need to combine the 6 lines of poetry from the last 3 riddles.
- Talk to Valiant Hart and he will read them out one by one.
- The full poem is as follows:
- Clandestine rendezvous leave me breathless and wanting
- Obsession consumes me, a thirst for the taboo
- Perchance we meet in public, be not a beguiler
- Ply me not with honeyed words, and spare me glances alluring
- Ere long this torment must end; together we must be
- Renounce it all I would, but we must be more discreet
- By combining the 1st letters of each sentence you get the word COPPER.
- By combining the last letters of each sentence you get the word GORGET.
- Equip a Copper Gorget and check the ??? behind the statue next to Valiant Hart to complete the quest.