Causes and Costs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Causes and Costs
- Quest giver
- Coerthas Western Highlands (X:32, Y:37)
- Quest line
- Previous quest
- For Those We Can Yet Save
- Next quest
- The Man Within
Alphinaud knows at last what he must do.
— In-game description
- Optional rewards
- 1 Hellfire Armor of Fending Coffer (IL 240)
- 1 Slipstream Armor of Maiming Coffer (IL 240)
- 1 Hellfire Armor of Striking Coffer (IL 240)
- 1 Torrent Attire of Scouting Coffer (IL 240)
- 3 Allagan Gold Piece
- Wait for Alphinaud in the intercessory in Camp Dragonhead.
- Speak with Alphinaud.
- Speak with Alphinaud outside Fortemps Manor.
- Alphinaud restates that there are things he wishes to say to you -- not to the Warrior of Light, or a fellow Scion, but to you, [Player], his friend. He proposes that you travel to Camp Dragonhead, to the intercessory Lord Haurchefant set aside for you long ago, that you might converse in private.
- To fight and die for a noble cause is a notion many find romantic, and Alphinaud was no exception. Are not truth, justice, and freedom worth fighting for, after all? Yet having borne witness to the costs of pursuing these many causes, having seen at what price each victory is bought, Alphinaud has had enough. Even if Ser Aymeric and all of Ishgard are willing to sacrifice Estinien to slay Nidhogg, he is not. Though he may fail, Alphinaud is resolved to try to save the dragoon. Touched by your young friend's conviction, you find yourself thinking back to those you have lost. Moenbryda, Wilred, Lord Haurchefant, Ysayle, Minfilia... and one who may yet be saved.
- Alphinaud thanks you for allowing him to unburden himself. Though he knows that not all the Scions may agree with his chosen course at first, he has faith that they can be won over in due time. For the present, he would return to Fortemps Manor and, with Tataru's aid, turn his thoughts to more uplifting subjects.
- Ever the optimist, Tataru seems positive about your prospects, still believing that Yda, Papalymo, and even Minfilia might one day rejoin the Scions. Reminded of the Antecedent's plight, Alphinaud ponders what could have motivated her to go to such lengths to deliver so curious a message. Though it may be some time before the whole truth is known to you, he seems content to wait and turn his mind to solving the problems of the present. The Scions always find a way.