An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste
The Vath Deftarm is looking at the colony's store of muskets, shaking his head.
— In-game description
- Rendezvous with the Vath Deftarm in the west of Avalonia Fallen.
- Speak with the Vath Deftarm.
- Rendezvous with the Vath Deftarm near the Arkhitekton.
- Speak with Slowfix in Idyllshire.
- Speak with Drydox.
- Find the Vath Deftarm.
- Report to the Vath Storyteller.
- Search for the Vath Deftarm near Loth ast Gnath.
- With the chat mode in Say, enter “Deftarm!” to call out to your pupil.
- Speak with the Vath Deftarm.
- The Vath deftarm is looking at the colony's store of muskets, shaking his head.
※The difficulty of this quest will be synced to your current level.
- The Vath deftarm is pleased with the progress his guild is making, but with progress comes the need for more tools and weapons. He notes that the muskets that the Nonmind have stolen from the Gnath are falling into disrepair, and he seeks a way to procure more without relying on their enemy. The Vath inquires to you about the goblins, who he heard were quite adept at metalworking. Seeking your help for an introduction to the goblins of Idyllshire, he excitedly sets off to prepare for his new journey. You agree to rendezvous at the border, in the west of Avalonia Fallen.
※Please note that the difficulty of this quest has been synced to your current level. Furthermore, you may not proceed with a class or job that is different from when you accepted this quest.
- Just as you and the deftarm are about to depart for the hinterlands, it soon becomes evident that the Gnath have been following you. With the deftarm rendered immobile by their whispers, the task is left to you to silence them.
- When the deftarm comes to his senses, he relays to you that the Gnath had been ordered to obstruct him from leaving the forelands. But he is confused as to why the Overmind gave such a command, given his trivial position among the Vath. Nevertheless, he shakes off his confusion and bids you both continue onward to the hinterlands.
- You find an alarmed deftarm standing next to a deceased Illuminati goblin, and the Vath quickly explains he fired out of self-defense. Upon your explanation of how the Illuminati work in contrast to the Idyllshire goblins, he breathes a sigh of relief that he did not murder one of his possible clients. Your journey continues onwards towards Idyllshire.
- Slowfix is surprised by the presence of the Vath deftarm in Idyllshire, but seems willing to oblige the request for metalwork. He points you both in the direction of Drydox, who appears to know something of Gnath weaponsmithing.
- The deftarm is confused by her request for “jinglyshine,” and admits that he has none. An unimpressed Drydox agrees to create better muskets for the deftarm, but not before he toils to clear the stone rubble scattered throughout the Collectors' Quarter. The deftarm initially declines her request, remarking that such a simple labor is beneath him. But after your stern guidance, he reluctantly accepts and heads off to complete his task.
- The request proves no simple task, as the deftarm struggles to clear the immense rubble. Discouraged after his fruitless attempts, he takes a break to enjoy a favorite snack: nanka eggs. Drydox, who came to check on the Vath's progress, immediately notes the eggs' foul stench and grows curious. After a single taste, the goblin takes an immediate liking to the Vathic delicacy. Seeing an opportunity, the deftarm asks Drydox to change the conditions of their arrangement, offering nanka eggs in exchange for metalwork. Drydox excitedly agrees, and a new deal is struck.
- The storyteller suspects that something is indeed wrong when, once more, the deftarm fails to return promptly. He reveals to you that all Vath have a lingering connection to the Onemind, and that some retain a stronger connection than others. These Vath must fight harder to reinforce their sense of self against the whispers of the Onemind, for should they forget their purpose, they will lose their individuality and rejoin the colony of Loth ast Gnath. Fearing that the deftarm has fallen victim to their whispers, he asks you to find him and bring him back to his senses before it is too late.
- You find a silent deftarm slowly shuffling towards the main colony. With the chat mode in Say, attempt to break his entranced state by calling his name, “Deftarm!” aloud.
- The Vath adventurer hears your voice and reaffirms his own identity. While now in control of his mind, it seems he lost his memory after departing from Idyllshire. Confused, he returns towards Loth ast Vath. Speak to him in front of the Adventurers' Guild.
- The deftarm tells you he spoke with the storyteller about his strange experience when he gave his report, and the storyteller explained his remaining potent connection to Loth ast Gnath. While the deftarm expresses fear over the thought of losing himself once more, he surmises that his individuality may be preserved should his purpose outweigh the whispers of the Onemind. He vows to do whatever it takes to strengthen his identity as an adventurer.