An End to the Song
An End to the Song
— In-game description
- Speak with Alphinaud.
- You and your companions settle upon the backs of Hraesvelgr and his kin, and dive through the clouds in the direction of Ishgard. Soon after, you alight, hands numb and eyes stinging, on the Steps of Faith in the midst of battle. With a mixture of surprise and scorn, Nidhogg welcomes Hraesvelgr, who attempts in vain to persuade his brother from his vengeful course. A mighty clash then ensues between the pair, from which there can be only one victor... The city's defenders watch transfixed as Hraesvelgr tumbles onto the bridge, beaten and bloody, Ishgard's fate seemingly sealed. Triumphant, Nidhogg revels in the moment, only to learn that his fallen sibling has entrusted you with a gift: one half of his power.
- With Hraesvelgr's might now commingled with your own, you are become Ishgard's best and last hope of staying the rampaging Nidhogg. Slay the great wyrm's shade, and bring an end to a thousand years of fire and blood!
※The Final Steps of Faith can be accessed via the Duty Finder.
- You have succeeded in subduing Nidhogg's shade. Wrest the wyrm's eyes from Estinien's armor, and rid your companion of Nidhogg's virulent spirit.
- Following Alphinaud's lead, you join in the struggle to tear Nidhogg's eyes from Estinien's mail. Using every onze of your strength, you wrestle with the hateful things, arcs of crackling aether enveloping you in agony, but just when the feat appears beyond you, you appear to receive aid from a most unexpected source...
With one final heave, you succeed in separating man and wyrm, and for an instant you glimpse Nidhogg's disembodied spirit, before casting his eyes into the abyss. At long last, it is over. Having done all you can for Estinien, you watch as Ser Aymeric bears him back to Ishgard. Join Alphinaud at the Arc of the Worthy, and discuss the aftermath of the battle.
- Upon returning to Ishgard, Alphinaud praises you for your victory over Nidhogg's shade. Whatever joy he feels at the dread wyrm's defeat, however, is overshadowed by his concern for the battered Estinien...