Bolt from the Blue
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bolt from the Blue
Martyn has his pearls of wisdom at the ready.
— In-game description
Whistle is available via:
This item is not dropped by any creature.
- Speak with Royse at the Goldsmiths' Guild.
- Speak with Royse at the Thaumaturges' Guild.
- Speak with Royse at the Quicksand.
- Speak with Martyn.
- Speak with Martyn again.
- Martyn has his pearls of wisdom at the ready.
- Martyn's plans to take you and two of his students on a training exercise are scuppered by the unannounced arrival of Royse and Fyrgeiss. The Celestium's owner is taking her newfound investor on a tour of Ul'dah to show him what goes on behind the scenes of the Masked Carnivale. Despite Martyn and his blue magic playing a major role in the shows held at the arena, Fyrgeiss is more interested in the methods used to collect and maintain the extensive menagerie of opponents. Royse invites you to join them as she introduces her benefactor to the various parties involved, while Martyn sets about preparing a demonstration to showcase the prowess of the Blue Mages' Guild, with an eye to secure investment from Fyrgeiss.
- The first stop on Royse's tour is the Goldsmiths' Guild, and Fyrgeiss is informed of their provision of several types of mechanical foes, including combat-ready mammets and floating Allagan nodes. Visibly impressed, the wealthy Syndicate member is keen to learn what other types of creatures the Celestium has in its collection as Royse leads the way to the Thaumaturges' Guild.
- Fyrgeiss is informed that voidsent summoned through arcane experiments are regularly delivered into the Celestium's keeping. Royse assures him that the necessary measures are in place to prevent their escape and that even the Coliseum─of which Fyrgeiss is a keen supporter─has been known to use voidsent itself. His concerns regarding their safe handling now well and truly allayed, he follows Royse to the Adventurers' Guild.
- Royse reveals that most of the Celestium's beasts are actually captured by members of the various Adventurers' Guilds as part of an ongoing agreement. Fyrgeiss admits that the selection of beasts used in the Masked Carnivale far surpasses that of the Coliseum, and spontaneously decides to increase the amount that he will invest in Royse's arena. Meanwhile, Martyn should have had enough time to prepare his demonstration, so the three of you return to the Blue Mages' Guild.
- Martyn is all set to exhibit his vast array of spells when Fyrgeiss suddenly announces that he has a prior engagement, at the Celestium of all places. He explains that a gladiator under his patronage is due to perform there and invites you all to view the match with him. Entering the arena, you are greeted by the sight of an armor-clad contestant known as Siegfried triumphing over Ultros, a relatively recent addition to the Masked Carnivale. Rather than sheathing his sword, he turns to point it straight at Martyn, the gesture clearly meant as a challenge to his alter ego, the Great Azuro.
- Outside the Celestium, Fyrgeiss appears with Siegfried by his side, who is none other than his eldest son Zirnberk, commander of the Stone Torches. The match between Siegfried and the Great Azuro was arranged as a means of attracting potential recruits to Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern's private army. Fyrgeiss then reveals that he was only interested in blue magic as a means by which to illustrate the superiority of his son's gladiatorial fighting arts over more showy and extravagant styles. Once the father and son have departed, Martyn runs the gamut of emotions from anger to exasperation, and finally, false bravado when he vows to wipe the floor with his hulking opponent. Royse sees an opportunity for Martyn to save face─primarily her own─by triumphing over Zirnberk, and suggests that he prepare accordingly. Soon after she has left, Martyn confides in you his apprehensions towards the match, and that he would rather divert his energies into his duties as guildmaster in the time remaining before the fateful day. He asks that you arm yourself with the Exuviation spell, a powerful healing spell, possibly due to his fear that circumstances may force you to take his place in the ring, as was the case in the encounter with Whastrach.
- ※The next blue mage quest will be available from Martyn upon reaching level 58 and learning Exuviation.