A Gazebo to Call Our Own
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A Gazebo to Call Our Own
Cyr may be the only man who has yet to drink from the well of madness.
— In-game description
- Speak with Hildibrand outside Fortemps Manor.
- Question the maidens of the Last Vigil.
- Speak with Hildibrand
- Rendezvous with Hildibrand in Idyllshire.
- Question the residents of Idyllshire.
- Speak with Hildibrand.
- Cyr may be the only man who has yet to drink from the well of madness.
- Inspector's Log:
- What strange twists and turns fate takes! For I, Hildibrand, agent of enquiry, inspector extraordinaire, now find myself father to Gigi, the loveable scamp who has yet to regain his missing memories. Regretfully, we have made no substantial progress of late on this front─nor have we gained any greater understanding of the miraculous power Gigi demonstrated in the markets, when he restored a priceless vase to pristine condition mere moments after it had shattered to pieces on the cobbles. Yet I remain confident that the answers to these many mysteries will be ours ere long, and my beloved boy will be granted the peace of mind he so rightfully deserves.
- For a mercy, Cyr has finally been charged with a duty which does not directly concern Inspector Hildibrand and his heretical mammet Gigi. In recent days there have been rumors that the missing (and presumed dead by some) knights of the Heavens' Ward have been sighted in Ishgard, and while the inquisitor knows little of the circumstances, he nevertheless suspects heresy most foul. A thorough investigation is therefore in order─and Cyr would enlist not only your help, but that of the itinerant individuals currently taking shelter in a certain gazebo...
- You find Inspector Hildibrand in the midst of lecturing his newly adopted son on the principles of gentlemanliness as they pertain to graffiti. Having come to view the Fortemps Manor gazebo as their home, the little mammet wished to decorate it with a drawing of their family crest. Alas, the life of a traveling inspector demands that Hildibrand forsake such luxuries as gazebos, if only for lack of financial means. Cyr then proceeds to tell the inspector of the incidents involving charlatans masquerading as knights of the Heavens' Ward, and the innocent maidens taken in by their dastardly schemes─and the due compensation he will receive should he choose to assist the inquisition with its investigation. Inspector Hildibrand enthusiastically agrees to cooperate and soon after departs for the Last Vigil, all the faster for the unexpected appearance of his dear mother Julyan, who it seems would like nothing more than to return to Ul'dah with her beloved, if misguided son.
- In questioning the maidens of the Last Vigil, you gain a greater understanding of the methods employed by the impersonators─as well as the deep and abiding devotion the young women have for the honored sers. Wisely electing not to disabuse them of any hopes they may harbor for their homecoming, you rejoin the others to share your findings.
- The investigation appears to have reached a standstill until Inspector Hildibrand approaches another maiden at random. Though she turns out to be rather more elderly than the other victims, she too appears to have fallen prey to the impersonators' schemes. According to her account, the men were overheard discussing seeking shelter in distant Idyllshire. And so, just like that, your next destination is decided.
- After an exceedingly eventful journey in which the party narrowly escapes death at the hands of the Dravanians, the Gnath, and the Illuminati, you arrive safely in Idyllshire. Never one to stop and catch his breath, Hildibrand immediately sets about questioning the residents of the eclectic community, and bids the others follow suit. If the oddly dressed crone is to be believed, then someone must surely know of the men you seek.
- In a surprising and not at all suspicious turn of events, you and Cyr receive rather detailed information regarding the Grand Sers─the imposters you seek─from an elderly treasure hunter who bears a striking resemblance to the woman with whom you spoke in Ishgard. Upon hearing Cyr make note of this fact, the treasure hunter abruptly declares that a three-headed goobbue is behind you and flees. In any event, regardless of the questionable circumstances, Inspector Hildibrand should be pleased to learn of your findings.
- As you gather outside the purported residence of the Grand Sers, Slowfix appears and greets Hildibrand as an old friend. It would seem that the goblin was the inspector's very first client, and that the experience gave him a newfound appreciation for the uplanders of Eorzea, planting the seed for the idea that would eventually become Idyllshire. To wit, Hildibrand could be considered by some to be a founding father of the aspiring utopia. In recognition of his contribution, Slowfix declares that the inspector may live in the building once leased to the Grand Sers, who are in arrears and have not been seen in some time. Overjoyed with this sudden windfall, Gigi begs his father for permission to draw their family crest on their new gazebo, and Hildibrand duly agrees, both to celebrate this joyous occasion and in the hopes that the brazen act might attract the attention of the missing Grand Sers. The mammet is given free rein to indulge his artistic sensibilities, and when he has finished, you wait...and continue to wait...and wait some more...