The Hunt for Omega
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Hunt for Omega
Wedge wears the expression of a man at his wit's end.
— In-game description
- Speak with Biggs.
- Speak with Cid at the Yawn.
- Speak with the chocobo.
- Speak with Cid.
- Wedge wears the expression of a man at his wit's end.
- In the course of their search for Omega, your friends at the Garlond Ironworks have come to Rhalgr's Reach. Apparently, however, they have since encountered some manner of problem which is hindering further progress. That you might grasp the nature of the problem in question, Wedge invites you to join him and Biggs at the workshop.
- You learn to your surprise that Nero tol Scaeva has been offered employment at the Ironworks without prior approval from Cid, who is none too pleased. At length, he grudgingly agrees to tolerate his old rival's presence, and takes the opportunity to beseech your aid in the ongoing investigation into Omega. Moments later, an engineer rushes in with grave tidings: aetheric readings have risen alarmingly at the Yawn, where Omega is thought to be hiding. Fearing the worst, Cid resolves at once to visit the scene and asks that you accompany him.
- As you stare at the pool of condensed aether that fills the Yawn, Midgardsormr stirs from his slumber to inform you that Omega does indeed await within. Then, without warning, a chocobo-like creature bursts out of the pool followed by an enormous, translucent serpent. Once the initial panic has passed, Midgardsormr explains that Omega is capable of bringing forth life, and that the serpent was one of its creations. All eyes duly turn to what appears to be an approximation of a chocobo, which has settled at the party's side.
- Through Midgardsormr, the chocobo describes a strange plane beyond the Yawn. There, Omega appears to be testing its creations, and the only way to find out more is to venture in─by taking a plunge into the pink pool.
- Together with your comrades, you jump into the Yawn and find yourself in a rift between dimensions. Shortly thereafter, Omega reaches out to you via one of its monitors and declares that you are to participate in an experiment. It seeks to determine the mightiest being by pitting subjects against one another in combat, to which end it has selected and recreated eighty-nine entities. You are provisionally assigned to the Alpha group, so named for your new chocobo friend, and your first task will be to fight your way to a place called the Deltascape. In so doing, you will prove your fitness to be fully fledged test subjects.
- ※In the event that you leave the Interdimensional Rift, you may re-enter by speaking with the Ironworks hand at the Yawn.
- You win through to the egg-shaped Deltascape─one of many such structures floating in the rift─thereby confirming your status as test subjects...albeit the weakest of them all. Omega duly grants you time and space to prepare for your next trial: entering the Deltascape and defeating all the subjects within. After your host leaves, you and your companions set about establishing an improvised base of operations.
- Having secured a foothold in the rift, the party turns its attention to the challenges that lie ahead. Whatever else stands between you and Omega, there seems little doubt that your combat skills will be tested to their limit...and perhaps beyond.