Sleep Now in Sapphire
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sleep Now in Sapphire
- Quest giver
- Resistance Officer
- The Lochs (X:11.3, Y:22.5)
- Quest line
- The Sorrow of Werlyt Quests
- Previous quest
- Ruby Doomsday
- Next quest
- Blood of Emerald
Information relating to the Weapon project has been uncovered, and your allies prepare to depart for distant lands.
— In-game description
- Speak with the Resistance Fighter.
- Speak with Severa at Alliance Headquarters.
- Speak with Gaius.
- Speak with Gaius again.
- Speak with Gaius yet again.
- Speak with Gaius one last time.
- Speak with Gaius.
- Speak with Valdeaulin.
- Speak with Severa.
- Speak with the Resistance officer at Porta Praetoria.
- The troops stationed at Porta Praetoria have been given orders to escort you to Alliance Headquarters by Gaius himself, an arrangement that does not sit well with the rank and file. It would appear the investigation into the Empire's Weapon project has finally borne fruit, though you will need to speak with those directly involved to learn more.
- Despite having visited Alliance Headquarters on several occasions, your comrades still feel the need to have you escorted there and back each time. The Resistance fighter nearby will be more than happy to show you the way.
- You discuss the latest findings of the Ironworks with Severa and Cid, whose earlier hypotheses surrounding the Ruby Weapon have been proven correct. It was equipped with a synthetic auracite system designed to forcibly supplant the consciousness of the pilot with data collected from more experienced soldiers. As Cid explains it, said data was collected via magitek devices akin to soul crystals affixed to the magitek armor of high-ranking officials. This is likely how the Garleans were able to retrieve the combat data of Nael van Darnus, who was killed prior to the Calamity, although there yet remain many questions surrounding the bizarre phenomena witnessed during the battle with the Ruby Weapon. As the Ironworks engineers endeavor to unravel this mystery, you decide to consult with Gaius and plan the next move.
- Valdeaulin gives a brief account of his mission to trace the Ruby Weapon's path back to its source. It is believed to have come from an imperial base in Werlyt, which happens to be where Alfonse and the other orphans lived before they were taken into Gaius's care. In addition, a large machina resembling a Weapon was seen being transported to the coastal town of Terncliff a few days past, and the most logical course of action is to disable it as quickly as possible. The considerable distance between the suspected Weapon and your current location poses a major obstacle, but Cid claims to have prepared a top secret plan for such an occasion.
- Cid takes great pleasure in revealing his trump card: the G-Warrior, an enormous Allagan warmachina restored to working order. He proposes that it be flown to Terncliff using the Enterprise, where it will battle the latest Weapon. It seems you were the only candidate considered as pilot, presumably owing to your preternatural abilities and abundance of combat experience. Gaius, having previously taken helm of the Ultima Weapon, will provide support remotely. Before heading to Terncliff, Cid requests that you familiarize yourself with the G-Warrior's controls using a simulator.
- Armed with a fundamental understanding of the G-Warrior, you and your allies make your way by airship to Terncliff, where the Weapon is poised to attack in the bay below. Though your fledgling abilities as a pilot are sorely tested, you eventually succeed in overcoming your foe, which now lies defeated, but largely intact, on the ocean's surface.
- After disembarking from the G-Warrior, you join the rest of your party in the now-liberated town of Terncliff. You decide to discuss the aftermath of the battle with Gaius, who may have some fresh insight to share.
- The Echo affords you a glimpse of events that unfolded prior to your arrival in Werlyt, and a conversation between Rex and Ricon, two of the orphans fostered by Gaius. With the Eorzean forces on their doorstep, Rex was committed to pilot an as-of-yet-unfinished Sapphire Weapon to afford his comrades time to escape. After much pleading, however, Ricon convinced him to trade places, and instead see the remaining Weapons to a safe location. The vision also confirms the theories surrounding the synthetic auracite and a system known as Oversoul, which fuses the pilot with the Weapon's core and replaces their consciousness with that of another soldier. After expounding on what you saw to Gaius, Cid arrives to confirm the cold, hard truth of your words.
- As Gaius is in no state of mind to speak with anybody whatsoever at present, you turn to Valdeaulin, who reveals how he came to travel alongside the former imperial legatus. After his entire village, including his wife and daughter, were captured and used in Garlean experiments on the poisonous gas that would later become Black Rose, he joined the Order of the Twin Adder to exact his revenge. He joined the assault on the Praetorium and was almost crushed as the fortress was brought crashing down, but thereupon encountered Gaius Baelsar, who was close to death. Just as Valdeaulin prepared to land the killing blow, Gaius asked that he stay his hand, at least until he could exterminate the Ascians who had orchestrated the war on Eorzea. Ever since that day, Valdeaulin has followed Gaius on his hunt, that he may judge his true intentions and slay him the moment he breaks their agreement. Valdeaulin seeks to bring a swift end to the threat posed by the Weapon project and return to eliminating the root cause rather than the symptoms of the Ascian menace.
- Now that the true nature of Oversoul has come to light, Gaius is more determined than ever to disable the remaining Weapons before they can be deployed. To that end, he and Valdeaulin will pursue Rex and the fleeing Garlean soldiers, while Cid continues to examine the imperial facility at Terncliff and the Sapphire Weapon. Your only task at present is to relay the outcome of the battle to the Resistance members at Porta Praetoria and await further instructions.
- You arrive back at Porta Praetoria where the officer in charge offers you a warm welcome. Pleasantries aside, you inform him of all that transpired at Werlyt. There is naught left to do but await further news from headquarters, though you suspect it will not be long before you and your allies are drawn back into conflict with the Empire.