Gathering classes, also know as Disciples of the Land, harvest natural resources around Eorzea. These natural resources can be used by Disciples of the Hand classes to craft new and useful items. Gathering classes consist of Botanist, Fisher and Miner.
Gathering classes are ill-suited for combat. They learn to hide from enemies at higher levels, though doing so reduces movement speed. They cannot participate in Duties, nor are there resources to be found in any of them. They also have their own selection of levequests focused entirely on gathering specific materials.
They gain experience primarily by gathering. Botanist and Miner gain an increasing bonus to experience the more successful gathering attempts they perform at the same spot, and all three classes gain a significant bonus whenever they obtain a high-quality (HQ) item, and a smaller bonus when they obtain any item for the first time.
- To switch to a gathering class, simply equip the tool of that class from your armory chest.
- Botanist and Miner:
- Gathering resource spots can only be seen with the appropriate ability active and only if the corresponding class is high enough level to harvest them (4 levels lower at most). For example, a level 21 Botanist can locate level 25 and lower spots. The tracking ability can be used cross-discipline.
- Both classes have a secondary type of resource they can harvest, starting at level 11, harvesting and quarrying respectively. These are colored in blue on the map and require the secondary tool of the class to be equipped as well.
- After reaching certain levels, both classes can identify special conditions at certain gathering spots that will result in various bonus effects if a certain stat is high enough, such as increased gathering chance, HQ gathering chance, extra attempts etc.
- Higher-level resource spots will have a number of unknown items that are fairly difficult to gather at first (usually a 25% base chance). After being identified with a successful gathering, they will return to their normal rates. They can also have "Hidden" / "Rare" items can will randomly show up in the item list and can only be gathered once from the same spot.
The Fisher is a class that harvests fish and other sea creatures from the waters of Eorzea. The raw materials they gather are used by the Culinarian crafting class. When you fish, Fishing Tackles are expended. Different fishing tackles are used to catch different fish in various environments.
- Gathering - increases your likelihood of receiving an item while gathering. The higher the level of the item, the more Gathering Points are required for a 100% chance.
- Perception - increases the probably of the item you receive to be high quality, up to a maximum of 15% base chance. No effect on items that cannot be high quality until reaching level 42 for miners and botanists, which unlocks a trait that allows perception to grant a chance of gathering up to 5 additional items for many of these.
- GP - Ability Resource Points used for gathering abilities. Slowly recharges over time while not gathering and with each successful gathering attempt. The current amount is shared between classes, though points can be lost if switching to a class with a lower maximum, including any non-gathering class (which lowers it to the base pool without any gear bonuses).
Crafting and Gathering